Sunday, April 6, 2008

She "Saved" My Life



My 24 year-old daughter introduced me to yoga.  She came across free classes given by our local department of recreation.  In a very non-pressuring way she informed me that she was going to check out the classes and I was welcome to join her.  "No pressure," she assured me, "Just wanted to let you know if you thought you might be interested."  
Truth be told, I haven't been involved in any extra activitiy/exercise, vigorous or otherwise for a couple (or more) years and I knew that I needed to get back to doing SOMETHING for my health and well-being. I would love to  lose some weight and get off my blood pressure medication.  My sweet girl tells me often that she wants me to be around for a long time and, "Don't you want to be here for your grandchildren?"  Well, I, of course being the mother that I am, felt guilt that I wasn't inclined to go but I went.  How could I not?
The workout room is a very large cavernous space with mirrors on one wall and balance barres (yes, its a French word) on two walls, large windows above and a dancer's floor.  As soon as I stepped into this room, I found myself whispering, "She saved my life!" and proceeded to get all choked up.  I was overcome with a sense of tranquility and peace.  This feeling brought tears to my eyes and an overwhelming feeling of love and gratitude for my daughter and for God for giving me such a sweet and caring child.    I thought this (yoga), with its slow stretching movements and the deliberate breathing was something I could really benefit from.   I also like the graceful moving from one position to another.
We have been faithful in attendance going on 9 weeks now and, in fact, I have gone without her when she couldn't go a couple of times.  It has helped me in many ways.  One way is yard work.  I worked out in the yard after an absence of many months (going back to work sure takes up a  lot of time!) and found myself doing "downward facing dog" stretches.  I didn't feel thrashed as I had in the past after working outside for 3-hour stretches.  I do know that slow movements are better in the long run and that slow, deep, regular breathing will lower blood pressure over time.  In fact, my latest cardiology appointment showed a slight improvement.  Yippee!
 I wanted to write of my nascent experience with yoga and offer a tribute to a sweet, loving daughter with Thanks to my LORD for allowing me to be her mom. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.